“Cloud computing” one of the latest buzz words in Silicon Valley — refers to a variety of ways in which technology companies offer computing services over the Web from remote data centers, seemingly from the cloud of the Internet.
IBM will sell a suite of Web-based collaboration software for businesses, including contact management, instant messaging and file sharing programs, the computing giant’s biggest effort to date to sell software as a service.
IBM will charge companies $10 to $45 per user per month for its software suite, which it will host at its own data centers and deliver via the Web, a company executive said in an interview on Tuesday. The suit will be available April 7.
IBM Vice President Sean Poulley said “What you are seeing are the beginnings of the whole IBM company moving toward cloud computing,”
There were 32,342 ATMs in the country at the end of December 2007 and various banks have entered into bilateral and multi-lateral arrangements with other banks to have inter-bank ATM networks.
At present, banks charge Rs 20 per transaction when a customer uses the cash machine of any bank.
However, banks can still charge extra for services like cash withdrawal with the use of credit cards and at ATMs located outside India.
Last year on March 10, the RBI had come out with guidelines limiting the fee charged by banks for using their ATMs by clients of other lenders to Rs 20. It had also allowed the use of ATM for purposes like balance enquiry free of any charge.
Now in April 1 and you need not have to sweat it out looking for an ATM of your own bank as you can use ATMs of your choice without shelling out any extra money- Thanks to an RBI directive
Microsoft New browser called Gazelle. Microsoft researchers are working on Gazelle which it promises will have some impressive new features and capabilities.
The firm released a research paper (PDF) late last week, saying that the new browser would offer significant security improvements compared to other browsers, including Internet Explorer.
“No existing browsers, including new architectures like Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome and OP, have a multi-principal operating system construction that gives a browser-based operating system the exclusive control to manage the protection of all system resources among web site principals,” Microsoft said in the report.
The browser will change this tradition by being built on its own kernel, in effect allowing it to operate as an operating system. This means that Gazelle could intelligently identify traffic, and react to anything malicious.
“Our prototype implementation and evaluation experience indicates that it is realistic to turn an existing browser into a multi-principal operating system that yields significantly stronger security and robustness with acceptable performance and backward compatibility,” the researchers wrote.
“The implementation and evaluation of our IE-based prototype shows promise of a practical multi-principal operating system-based browser in the real world,” the researchers concluded.
The browser is only open for discussion at this stage, and there are no current plans for a release in any form.
Pros & Cons of Latest 3rd Generation IPod shuffle
* Supports multiple playlists
* Can navigate thanks to Voiceover controls
* Supports Apple Lossless files
* Good sound and volume.
* No controls on iPod
* Navigation more difficult than in the past
* Battery charge poorer than in the past
* Tiny switch on top of iPod difficult to manage with adult fingers
* Must pay for adapter or compatible headphones if unhappyÂ Â with included headphones.
* Lack of controls on the iPodâ€”is more difficult to use
* Controversial control makes the ipod shuffle more clumsy. Â Pressing to traipse through multiple items in a playlist is clumsy. Not only is it likely some users will forget which combination of presses transports them from place to place. I suspect a lot of 3G iPod shuffle owners will forgo all this button pushing.
Price List for Apple’s Updated Desktop Macs in India
* 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo with 3mb l2 cache
Features of low-end mac mini priced at rs. 36,600 packs:
* 1gb ddr3 1066 mhz ram expandable up to 4gb
* nvidia geforce 9400m integrated graphics with 128mb video memory.
* 120gb sata hdd 5400 rpmâ€¦
The new high-end mac mini priced at rs. Rs. 48,200 packs:
* 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo with 3mb l2 cache
* 2gb ddr3 1066 mhz ram expandable up to 4gb
* Nvidia geforce 9400m integrated graphics with 256mb video memory.
* 320gb sata hdd 5400 rpm.
Features like slot-load double-layer 8x superdrive
* Mini displayport and mini-dvi ports
* Airport extreme wireless networking & bluetooth 2.1+edr built-in
* Gigabit ethernet
* Five usb 2.0 ports
* Firewire 800 port and one audio line in with one audio line out port both support digital and analog signals. are also available
New imac models include only one 20-inch imac and three 24-inch imac models.
The highest rigged 24-inch imac priced at rs. 1,25, 900
It has the features:
* 3.06ghz intel core 2 duo with 6mb shared l2 cache
* 4gb ddr3 1066mhz ram
* 1tb sata 7200rpm hdd
* nvidia geforce gt 130 with 512mb gddr3 video memory.
SAMSUNG Enters into 8 MEGAPIXEL PHONE CLUB WITH PIXON (M8800)
The World’s leading mobile manufacturer Samsung has finally launched 8-megapixel touch screen camera phone, namely SAMSUNG Pixon or M8800 in Indian market.
The cellphone cum digicam has a 3.2-inch WQVGA large full touchscreen (240 x 400 pixel resolution) that supports Samsung TouchWiz user interface for intuitive tap, sweep, drag and drop operations.
The handset comes with in-built autofocus camera which can take a photo with maximum image resolution of 3264*2468. The phone has features like face, blink, and smile detection, dual LED flash, Wide Dynamic Range, Advance Shake Reduction, GPS geo-tagging support.
In addition, the camera phone can also record amazing WVGA movies at 30fps or QVGA at 120fps.
The phone supports video player formats such as DivX, Xvid and MP4.
Apart from main camera, Samsung Pixon also has a secondary front camera for video-calls.
With internet connectivity, the phone offers support for both HSDPA high speed Internet with up to 7.2 download speed and UMTS capability.
Other features of PIXON or M8800 is:
- 3G capable Samsung Pixon M8800
- onscreen QWERTY keyboard
- onscreen handwriting recognition
- FM radio
- a multi-format music player with SRS 3D surround sound
- Bluetooth with A2DP
- microUSB socket.
The company claims that the device is powered with a high-capacity 1000 mAh Li-Ion battery which supports up to 290h standby time and up to 3h and 40m talk time.
The SAMSUNG Pixon is priced at MRP of Rs 28,750.